Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Food Stamps and the New President

What I think about when I see Barack Obama...
No matter what you think about the 44th President of the United States, about his ideas or policies, this is what I think about when I see him...

For almost 8 years I worked as a caseworker in a Welfare Office in Arizona.

I interviewed hundreds of single, working moms that needed help- food for their children was always a priority. The Food Stamp program was my favorite program- what could be better that giving the gift of food to families.

For the parent(s) it can be humiliating, humbling and embarrassing to be interviewed by a stranger who, by law, must gather information about their lives to see if they qualify. They must discuss and document all things personal in their lives- from who lives at their house to their financial situation- just to get some food for their kids. Whether they like it or not, they must comply to receive any help.

When I think of Barack, I think about his single, working mom who received Food Stamps for part of his life. I wonder about the caseworker that interviewed her. I hope his mom was not embarrassed or humiliated requesting help to feed her family (though she probably was). I think of his humble beginnings- the food on their table, paid for by the taxpayers, through the Food Stamp Program.

It amazes me to think that one of the kids I fed through the Food Stamp Program could grow up to be President. Only in America.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Well said.....your father says that's a very good point! There was no inauguration ball here in our little town, but apparently there were all sorts of "balls" in Vancouver (that's Vancouver, CANADA!) for your new president! His approval rating in our country, according to the polls, is 87%!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that. It makes the story even more amazing.